Click here to share your thoughts!

My thoughts on Resilience

My thoughts on Resilience

by Glorious Das -
Number of replies: 0

What concepts and ideas did you find most interesting?

Response: I loved the concept of capitals and the flow of it. Many times we only see some capitals as major and others are seldom identified.  

What is your existing experience with resilience thinking:            

Response: Bangladesh is a very disaster-prone country in Asia, We are a bit of experiencing many threats like floods, cyclones, earthquakes, landslides, river erosion, and many stressors like pollution, disease outbreaks, heatwaves, cold waves, salinity, drought, food scarcity, economic crisis, many more

There are many interventions we took for all capacities like absorb, adapt & transform. Bangladesh is blessed to have a full government ministry on Disaster Management and relief. We try to anticipate the threats and keep some contingency plans for every project and operation. We empower communities on Disaster Risk Reduction and the positive coping mechanism before, during, and after the disaster. We help the community to make more savings through a Self-help group approach to become resilient economically. In some instances, we advocated for the local government to allocate funds and policies to support the marginalized people by having some safety net programs inclusion, incentives for farmers in the lean season, availing human resources to train farmers through farmers’ field schools, diversified cropping, flood tolerant, saline tolerant cropping, etc. 

How do you want to apply this learning in your work?

Response: Now this will help me to think well ahead of a project planning to anticipate threats, calculate the capital, and make strategies to have a more complex capital flow thinking. I will also share the learning with my team in World Concern Bangladesh to build our capacity to think in this way. 

Attachment Saline Tolerant Crop Diversification (Sun flower) in Southern Bangladesh .JPG
Attachment Saline Tolerant Cropping in the Southern Bangladesh.jpg