SMC OM/OH Forum

Theory of change in connection to Outcome Harvesting

Theory of change in connection to Outcome Harvesting

by Maarit Liljegren -
Number of replies: 4

How do we know that change happens in the way we assume it will happen? Some change chains are quite easy but in complex programmes the chains are flying in so many directions that is is difficult to follow cause and effect. I have found that OH helps me understanding this issues better. Especially helpful I have found are the maps of outcomes placed in a timeline. Has any of you done this with your data and do you have useful advice?

In reply to Maarit Liljegren

Re: Theory of change in connection to Outcome Harvesting

by Philip Smith -

(sorry this a bit slow response!) We often try to link them together in Mural, and then discuss these theories with field staff. The was example attached was put together using data from a substantiation process which looked in more depth at outcomes relating to "teachers are not discriminating", linking other observations and data that the team found.

I am finding more and more that labelling the arrows (i.e. what is happening in the connection between outcomes) is important in explaining what we believe is going on (we didn't do that in the example).  I know another OH consulant - Steff Deprez - works with clients to make narratives based on the outcomes - an overall story.

I think process tracing has a lot to offer in this area, and can be included in the substantiation phase of OH, but it does add quite a bit more work!!

Attachment Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 15.02.25.png
In reply to Philip Smith

by Maarit Liljegren -

You mean like tracing backward how the actual chain of chances has been and look for the causalities?

In reply to Maarit Liljegren

by Philip Smith -

There is a method developed for this (or at least an overall theory!), linked to ideas around "realist evaluation". Some good places to start looking are betterevaluation: 

https://www.betterevaluation.org/en/evaluation-options/processtracing

And Tom Aston has done a 6-part series of helpful blog posts on process tracing:

https://thomasmtaston.medium.com/real-process-tracing-part-1-context-6a52777a6a98

I'm currently reading up on this, so I don't know much more about it! However, I do recognise many of the ideas in things that we are doing already :)

In reply to Philip Smith

by Maarit Liljegren -

Great! Very helpful. I will start reading. This might be something I have been looking for for awhile now. Would be interesting to hear your ideas on the way :-)